News

The world of water treatment is in a state of constant flux and we see it as our job to keep our customers, and our potential clients, up to date with the latest information.

As a first in our industry we have moved into the world wide web with pages on Facebook, Youtube and Twitter. Follow our adventures on the internet via the home page links.

Burton Hotel re-opens for Christmas Parties

A Burton hotel is open for Christmas parties having been closed after two people who had stayed there were later diagnosed with having legionnaires’ disease.

The Three Queens Hotel and Lodge, in Bridge Street, was temporarily closed on October 6 on the advice of health professionals from Public Health England (PHE) in the West Midlands, East Staffordshire Borough Council and Staffordshire County Council after legionella bacteria was found.

It came after two people became ill and were diagnosed with legionnaires’ disease, one from Nottingham and the other from Bridlington, in Yorkshire.

They had both stayed at the hotel and lab tests carried out by Public Health England found legionella pneumophila bacteria present in water samples taken from the hotel plumbing.

Two guests were diagnosed with legionnaires’ disease after staying at the Three Queen’s Hotel, in Burton
However, the hotel is now largely open, but some work is still going on, said a spokesman. All events and Christmas bookings at the hotel are going ahead as planned.

A spokesman for Public Health England said: “Most of the building is now open with protective measures in place and further remedial work is in progress. The facilities will fully reopen once this work has been completed to a satisfactory standard.”

Three Queens Hotel remains partially closed after two former guests contracted legionnaires’ disease
The first person diagnosed with legionnaires’ disease was from Nottingham and was diagnosed in January.

The second, from Bridlington, Yorkshire, was diagnosed in September and was seriously ill as a result. She was found to have double pneumonia and spent three weeks in hospital hooked up to a drip and on constant oxygen.

When she returned home she was still bed-bound and struggling to breathe.

On the temporary closure of the hotel, management contacted guests to explain the situation, and notified people who had stayed at the venue two weeks prior to the closure to advise them to make contact if they experienced any symptoms of legionnaires’ disease. Legionnaires’ disease cannot be passed from person to person.

Comments are closed.